Chart: 73% of victim-based crime is not reported to police
Of the 10.9 million crimes which individual adults aged 16 years and over experienced in the past year, only 27% were reported to the authorities. Reporting rates vary substantially, with more-serious crimes more likely to be reported. Fraud makes up almost half of victim-based crime but is particularly unlikely to be reported, dragging down the overall average.
Data source: Crime Survey for England and Wales, 2019
- Chart: Drug use was falling, but that seems to be changing
- Chart: Almost 7 million adults have been victims of partner abuse
- Increases in crime-related demand are hitting some forces harder than others
- Chart: Homicides haven't only increased in Britain
- Chart: Seizures of the most harmful drugs at UK borders are falling