Chart: Drug use was falling, but that seems to be changing
Self-reported drug use has fallen for most of the past 20 years according to the Crime Survey for England and Wales, but in the past seven years the use of cannabis, cocaine and ecstasy has increased substantially, particularly among people aged 16–24. However, drug use is still lower now than it was at the turn of the millenium, with about 10% of adults saying they’ve used an illegal drug in the past year.
Data source: Crime Survey for England and Wales, 2019
- Chart: 73% of victim-based crime is not reported to police
- Chart: Seizures of the most harmful drugs at UK borders are falling
- Chart: Almost 7 million adults have been victims of partner abuse
- Increases in crime-related demand are hitting some forces harder than others
- Chart: Homicides haven't only increased in Britain