Chart: Young offenders are more likely to re-offend than adults
Most people convicted of a crime will not be convicted or cautioned for another offence within 12 months, although young offenders are more likely to offend again than adults. Most re-offending is by a small number of prolific offenders who frequently pass through the criminal justice system – more than 60% of people released from short prison sentences will reoffend within a year.
Data source: Ministry of Justice, 2019
- Chart: Police cuts still being felt in most forces
- Chart: Typical rape investigation times doubled between 2012 and 2018
- Chart: In serious cases, justice is often slow
- Chart: Some police forces are much more likely to prosecute violence
- Chart: No big changes in sentences after new police-assaults law